Technical Spec, better upgrade/rollback control

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 09:36:40 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

I think most times when this feature has been discussed it has been in the context of btrfs.
I think the current text in the technical specification doesn't got deeper on the subject partly
because we are all a little on the fence for at what time we feel confident enough about btrfs to
dare propose it as the default filesystem for the desktop. I spoke with the btrfs developer at Red Hat
during a conference on the US West Coast towards the end of last year, and he thought that btrfs was
ready for the desktop usecase, although he was not ready to recommend it for server use due to the
(small) risk of data corruption. The argument being that if lets say you need to rollback to a half
a day older snapshot due to data corruption once a year on a desktop that is probably fine due to
desktops local data usually being slow moving, while on a database server is not really an option.
That said, I think this item has stalled a bit due to a feeling of uncertainty if that once a year
occurrence is really fine. (On the other hand it is not that the current options are 100% risk free either).

Christian