technical spec for the workstation up for review

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 09:49:20 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Well since the whole context of the discussion was that we can not expect developers to
specifically code for firewall.d, I did not of course propose the do this using
the firewall.d API. Transmission for instance includes functionality for testing if
the port it wants to use is available (and I assume it is not doing that using the
firewall.d API).

Of course I don't know if what Transmission does is done using 'non usable' APIs
according to your definition.

> > That said to me the request we would make of them in the firewall scenario
> > seems easier to do generically than the option we would
> > like them to take in the second option, and also less of a risk when some
> > of
> > the app devs will not do what we hope they
> > will.
>
> Certainly, because users will simply disable the firewall and be done with
> it.
> That's certainly what I do.

Well I guess you find a lot more value in sharing your photos over DLNA in the local
internet cafe than most of us then :). Personally if my DLNA sharing silently failed
due to me having chosen the internet cafe to be an untrusted area I would likely never
realize as it is not a usecase I have ever cared about.

Christian