Technical Spec, better upgrade/rollback control

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Feb 21 12:53:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 12:46 AM, Chris Murphy
<lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
> The Workstation PRD includes "better upgrade/rollback control" under
> plans & policies.
>
> "• Better upgrade/rollback control
> If there are any problems with an upgrade or an upgrade breaks a
> configuration script we want to offer an easy way for users to
> roll-back such upgrades and changes."
>
> The Technical Specification doesn't address this requirement. And I'm
> also not finding anything in the list archives about it.
>
> I'm aware of three possible candidates for implementing snapshots and
> rollbacks:

There's also OSTree - it's a more invasive vision, as it forces *every
upgrade* to be atomic, and at present, you need to reboot.  But on the
plus side, every upgrade is atomic =)  And by virtue of being
constantly used, it's also constantly tested in real world scenarios.

A lot of "rollback" tools as below badly suffer from the fact that
they're only used "in anger" when something went wrong.

I haven't talked much here about using OSTree for the traditional
user-owns-machine "workstation" case - as it's near the end of my
multi-year plan.  It requires rpm/dnf to be aware of OSTree underneath.

Currently though, I think OSTree works very well for replication-based
workstation deployments. This is the case where you run a corporate IT
shop, and you have a "corporate standard build" of the OS preloaded
with apps, and no ability for users to install apps individually, or
change the OS.