Technical Spec, better upgrade/rollback control

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 13:52:10 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 08:40 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> I discussed btrfs with some of our FS experts at DevConf a couple
> weeks ago, and then further via email after.  I'm not convinced it's
> ready to be the default FS for any product in Fedora yet.  I'm hoping
> that I can get some/one of these experts to attend Flock this year and
> give a talk on btrfs.  Where it's at, what it needs to be the default
> fs, etc.  We may wind up with a feature-reduced btrfs option in the
> not too distant future being viable (e.g. no multi-device spanning, no
> RAID).

We may want to reword the 'file system' section I just put in the tech
spec, then.

> I realize btrfs is something people are really excited about and
> really want, but I'm not willing to let hype or "mostly" working
> features swing our decision.  People have been living without
> fs-rollback for years, and I think they can wait a bit longer.  The
> last thing we need is to get bad hype because people start losing
> their data if we force the issue.

Tbh, from where I stand, people were excited about btrfs a few years
ago, but the excitement has wanted. You can hold your breath only for so
long. Time to either push it over the hump this year, or give up and
move on. Isn't suse using btrfs by default now ?