Technical Spec, better upgrade/rollback control

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 14:08:04 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 4:36 AM, Christian Schaller <cschalle at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > I think most times when this feature has been discussed it has been in the
> > context of btrfs.
> > I think the current text in the technical specification doesn't got deeper
> > on the subject partly
> > because we are all a little on the fence for at what time we feel confident
> > enough about btrfs to
> > dare propose it as the default filesystem for the desktop. I spoke with the
> > btrfs developer at Red Hat
> > during a conference on the US West Coast towards the end of last year, and
> > he thought that btrfs was
> > ready for the desktop usecase, although he was not ready to recommend it
> > for server use due to the
> > (small) risk of data corruption. The argument being that if lets say you
> > need to rollback to a half
> > a day older snapshot due to data corruption once a year on a desktop that
> > is probably fine due to
> > desktops local data usually being slow moving, while on a database server
> > is not really an option.
> > That said, I think this item has stalled a bit due to a feeling of
> > uncertainty if that once a year
> > occurrence is really fine. (On the other hand it is not that the current
> > options are 100% risk free either).
>
> I discussed btrfs with some of our FS experts at DevConf a couple
> weeks ago, and then further via email after.  I'm not convinced it's
> ready to be the default FS for any product in Fedora yet.  I'm hoping
> that I can get some/one of these experts to attend Flock this year and
> give a talk on btrfs.  Where it's at, what it needs to be the default
> fs, etc.  We may wind up with a feature-reduced btrfs option in the
> not too distant future being viable (e.g. no multi-device spanning, no
> RAID).

And it's not only about the filesystem but also other parts, in our case
mostly installer. There's some brtfs support but has still some limitations
and for F20 we were even thinking how to show it as tech preview, instead
of feature we block on (same for LVM thinp). It's always good to have more
testing from brave users but we should be conservative in what we show as
supported option in installer...

Jaroslav