Filling the gaps in the spec: media

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 21 21:32:52 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com>wrote:

> Trying with a new thread: One of the edits I did yesterday was to add a
> section for 'Installation methods and media'. So far, it is empty.
>
> Are there any ideas for doing something other than live USB sticks
> here ?
>
> --

I still think we should produce optical media (and have optical media as an
option), if only because that's cheaper to give away in conferences :)

I'm all for pushing USB as the default, but for that to happen we need few
things:
1) Have a working UI within Fedora to create Fedora USB sticks. This UI
should be able to produce a stick that can boot both in EFI mode and Legacy
Mode, unless we decide to drop support of non-EFI systems (too early for
that I think)

2) Rework the Windows version of liveusb-creator. It needs to support EFI
as well, and we should probably get the executable signed. There has to be
a safe and secure way for people to create LiveUSBs from Windows, and right
now the internet is full of fake and virus ridden versions of this app. For
incresed trust and security, this app should be downloadable from the main
fedoraproject website (so it'll look more official than fedorahosted,
especially cause that FedoraHosted page is confusing for newcomers), the
executable has to be signed, and the UI itself probably needs a re-design
if only so it won't look the same as all the fake versions that have been
running around for years.

3) A similar (GUI) solution for Mac OS should be devised as well.

--
-Elad Alfassa.