Filling the gaps in the spec: media

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Feb 22 00:02:35 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 18:56 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 14:34 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>

> > The basic method of writing live media needs to be dd. We can do
> > persistence by having a very small partition at the end of the image and
> > having the writing tool (if it's something more sophisticated than dd)
>
> Fwiw, I would be happy if the live image was much more focused on
> getting your system installed. It should basically boot into the
> installer, and perhaps offer you an escape hatch for trying it out
> uninstalled for a while. If persitence is complicating things, I don't
> think ditching would affect any of the workstation use cases.

>From what mjg59 said it doesn't really complicate anything too
drastically. I agree it's kind of a minority pursuit, though I've found
it useful occasionally (it was pretty useful for doing fedlet debugging
when I was running live images exclusively, for e.g.) I'd be fine with
it not being something we blocked releases on or anything, and
de-emphasizing it (even more than it currently is) on the documentation
etc. (Which is actually pretty much where we are right now).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey