Tech Spec: Software Updates

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 26 14:25:08 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 02:25:17PM +0100, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> I know we're not switching back to online updates, but we might want to
> reassess how they're done now. Maybe making more obvious that the system
> is being updated and the process is not yet over, or excluding packages
> that really don't need offline update so that the update time is much
> shorter?

I don't know how much this helps, but I would love to have 1) "install
updates and shutdown" and b) "install updates and reboot" menu options in
the Gnome Shell shutdown menu.

Long term, I'd _really_ like to see some intelligent heuristics allowing
online updates when we know they are safe. I know that's a hard problem, but
we have smart people, and we can incrementally move towards solving it.