default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 26 15:45:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
> Josh Boyer wrote:
>>
>> Then we can use it as default?  I don't understand the question there
>> really.
>

> My question was prefacing my suggestion of the conversion tool.
>

>> I agree switching from ext4 to XFS is likely not worthwhile.  I
>> wouldn't in a million years advocate for people to convert an ext4 fs
>> to btrfs though.  Back the data up, do a fresh install.
>

> Is there a technical downside to using the conversion? It has been about a
> year since I last used it but I cannot recall any conversion issues that
> myself or others have had.

I have no idea, but from a user and upgrade perspective, it's not
something I would advocate for at all.  Upgrades are already kind of
dicey and adding "filesystem conversion" to the tools and QA matrix is
just one more risk we don't really need to take.  If a user wants to
do it manually before they upgrade, then they're certainly able to.

josh