default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Wed Feb 26 19:43:46 UTC 2014

On Feb 26, 2014 7:24 AM, "Josh Boyer" <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > - Other than lack of shrink support in XFS, I'd say XFS is suitable for
Workstation as well. Would the Workstation WG have concerns about the lack
of fs shrink support in the default file system? [1]

> I don't think shrink support is a factor at all for Workstation.

> josh

Filesystem shrinking should be a *requirement* for Workstation.  I'd love
to see Fedora as everyone's primary and only OS, but that's a long term
goal.  As the flagship desktop offering, Fedora Workstation will be the
first choice for inexperienced or casual users, the class of users that
boot multiple OSen. The class of users that would switch primary
distributions in frustration on discovering that they are forced to
reinstall to gain a bit of unallocated space.

Such users may not be the target audience for Workstation, but they still
represent mindshare and a pool of potential contributors. Consider
carefully on decisions that would alienate this group. "We warned you in
the Release Notes, you should have changed the default filesystem " gains
no favor.

--Pete