default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 19:54:57 UTC 2014

> > Workstation as well. Would the Workstation WG have concerns about the lack
> > of fs shrink support in the default file system? [1]
> > >
> > > I don't think shrink support is a factor at all for Workstation.

> > > josh
> >
> > Filesystem shrinking should be a *requirement* for Workstation.  I'd love
> > to see Fedora as everyone's primary and only OS, but that's a long term
> > goal.  As the flagship desktop offering, Fedora Workstation will be the
> > first choice for inexperienced or casual users, the class of users that
> > boot multiple OSen. The class of users that would switch primary
> > distributions in frustration on discovering that they are forced to
> > reinstall to gain a bit of unallocated space.
>
> Well, you're never 'forced' to do that. You can always just do the
> shrink in pre-flight. It's convenient to have it available from the
> installer, but it's not *necessary*.
>
> It is kind of a significant convenience, though, and I agree Josh kinda
> underplayed it. Losing the ability to install alongside full-disk
> Windows installations without asking the user to do some pre-flight work
> themselves would be a significant loss.

Although of course I've lost the context there, and we're talking about
the *Linux* filesystem. The impact of picking xfs would be that
something else couldn't shrink the Fedora install and install alongside
it, I guess. So we're being kinda 'rude' to others, but hey, it doesn't
hurt us. ;)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey