default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Feb 27 04:13:58 UTC 2014

On Feb 26, 2014, at 1:54 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> Another aspect of xfs we may want to investigate and get feedback from
> filesystem folks is how well xfs works on 32bit these days.
>
> RHEL7 doesn't have a 32bit version in their beta, so they only need to
> support 64bit xfs. Does the fact that we expect to have 32bit
> workstation and/or server weigh into this decision any?

I think the only limit is 16TB max file system, so off hand I'd say no. But this also applies to ext4.

I just tested with 3.13.4-200.fc20.i686+PAE.

XFS (sdc): file system too large to be mounted on this system.
EXT4-fs (sdc): filesystem too large to mount safely on this system.

The same 32-bit kernel mounts a 20TB Btrfs volume with no complaints, so I don't know its limit.

http://paste.fedoraproject.org/80784/93470280/

XFS mounts with inode64 by default, same as x86_64. So that's good.

Chris Murphy