PRDs/Tech Specs to formal Change Proposals and Change submission deadline

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 11:38:42 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On 02/27/2014 11:32 AM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > at yesterday's FESCo meeting, it was agreed on setting deadlines
> > for Change submission for Fedora 21 [1] and to process PRDs into
> > Change proposals.
>
> It can be hard to come up with Change proposals without knowing the F21
> schedule and how much time we have for implementing them. Is there any
> chance FESCo could come up with a tentative schedule first?
>
> For example, if F21 is going to be released in August, we'd propose
> GNOME 3.12 as a Change, but if it's going to be released in October /
> November, it would likely be GNOME 3.14 instead.

One possibility - and I'd say preferred - is to mention both options
in the Change proposal, with both versions schedules. Based on that,
the decision could be, that we would wait for 3.14, if Workstation
WG would say it's preferred option, or some development has to happen
upstream first for Fedora 21/Next.

Tentative schedule is - GA no earlier than in August. Realistic, expect
October. I understand it's hard to plan for both sides - FESCo and
developers. But expect the timeframe of August to October. In case the
scope of the release would be bigger, we can slip more. I'd just like
to avoid changing the GA date once a week without a real data. I'm
going to upload draft schedule how F21 would look like for different
release dates.

Btw. Change proposal is not something set in stone, but it should
be living document (of course in cooperation with FESCo).

Jaroslav