default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 12:43:53 UTC 2014

On 02/27/2014 12:18 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2014, at 5:33 PM, Josef Bacik <josef at toxicpanda.com
> <mailto:josef at toxicpanda.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Just popping in here to say that btrfs is not ready to be default
>> in Fedora yet.  Optional is fine but not default.
>>

> OK good, that's definitive. Thanks Josef.
>
> So my thought is Workstation WG choices: parity with Server WG,
> whatever they choose; or plain ext4; or keep things the same with
> LVM + ext4.
>
> And on the question of an alternate choice (what currently appears
> in the Automatic/Guided path's Partition Scheme pop-up menu) the
> WG's might consider this too, even whether an alternate is desired.
> Because from a my personal QA perspective, I'd like to see the two
> products agree on either the default or an alternate so we don't
> have four total possible paths combined, which today means 100
> testable outcomes. One or two paths is ideal; three might be OK.
> Four is likeā€¦ chickens with no heads, running.

Speaking for myself, I have a slight preference on using XFS-on-LVM
for the default filesystem in the Fedora Server, but if both of the
other Products would prefer ext4-on-LVM, I suppose we could negotiate.

If we can arrange things so we only have a single installer with
different install targets (at least for the net install), I'd consider
the reduction in testing effort at least worthy of argument at being
more valuable than the filesystem choice.

Question for the cloud folks:

I realize that XFS is a difficult pill to swallow for /boot, due to
your use of syslinux instead of GRUB2. If the Server and Workstation
groups decide to settle on both using XFS-on-LVM for the main
partitions, we could *probably* also compromise on using ext4 for just
/boot.

Directed more broadly at all three products:

Formal proposal (for discussion): All three products agree to use ext4
for /boot and XFS-on-LVM for all other partitions in the "guided"
mode. All is fair game in the "custom" mode.

Also, for the sake of everyone's sanity, as we discuss this specific
proposal, let's hold the conversation to devel at lists.fedoraproject.org
(making this the last cross-posted message in the thread).