hw requirements

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Feb 28 20:40:27 UTC 2014

Matthias Clasen (mclasen at redhat.com) said:
> I've added a section about hw requirements to the spec. It is a bit
> vague atm. Can we (and should we) make it more precise ?

'suitable graphics and display resolutions'.

I would suggest at least:
- a graphics adapter with a KMS-capable driver

Pros: matches what those working on gfx (in general) work on
Cons: Do we support third-party drivers that don't do this? VESA? fbdev?
 Also, exposes implementation details that users shouldn't care about.

- a graphics adapter or adapter + CPU combo that supports <unspecified>
  level of 3D rendering performance

I believe this is a line we would draw in terms of what is
supported/recommended, but I don't know how you would write this in a
meaningful way that this could be applied.

- 1024x768 resolution (or 1024x600?)

Too conservative?

- Input

Do we require at least one PS/2 or USB input device, or will we work with
bluetooth-only or touchscreen-only devices?

Bill