vetting the package list

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 21:52:02 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 10:36 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-02-26 at 15:37 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> I've compared the package list from the workstation spec with a recent
>> rawhide desktop spin image. I'm attaching the results (+ = on desktop
>> spin, not in workstation spec, - = not on desktop spin, but in
>> workstation spec). No further analysis yet.
>
> I've now gone over this list, and added most of the obviously missing
> things (like NetworkManager, grub2, xorg, gvfs,...) to the package list.
>
> The diff is now much smaller (attached).
>
> The remaining open questions for the package list are:
> - supported languages (ie fonts)
> - non-core applications
>
> Here is a list of applications that are on the desktop spin, but not
> currently included in the workstation package list:
>

> evince
> file-roller
> gnome-boxes
> gnome-disk-utility
> gnome-screenshot
> gnome-system-monitor

We should probably add at least those

1) Lots of documentation comes as PDF you should be able to access / read them
2) Archives are pretty common for pretty much very use case
3) "gnome-boxes will be available for the creation and use of vms, as
well as for connecting to remote systems, e.g. ovirt. " (listed as
core app)
4) Is / should be the prefered tool for creating Fedora Media ("burn"
to usb stick)
5) You ought to be able to create screenshots oob
6) Not sure about this one .. will most people just use top etc. in a
terminal instead?