FESCo decision on 3rd party repositories

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Thu Jan 2 17:11:33 UTC 2014

On 12/11/2013 04:50 PM, Elad Alfassa wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM, Josh Boyer
> <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org <mailto:jwboyer at fedoraproject.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Elad Alfassa
>     <elad at fedoraproject.org <mailto:elad at fedoraproject.org>> wrote:
>     >
>     > What is COPR?
>
>     It's a newly released platform for building personal RPM repositories.
>      Somewhat analogous to Ubuntu's PPAs.
>
>     http://copr.fedoraproject.org/
>     https://fedorahosted.org/copr/
>     https://fedorahosted.org/copr/wiki/UserDocs#FAQ
>
>     josh
>     --
>

> Interesting.
> We need to think and see how (and if) to integrate it with the desktop
> fedora experience. I wouldn't want gnome-software searching in all of
> these automatically.
> Unless we get COPRs with proper metadata (an archive of all the
> appdata files they contain, perhaps) and meaningful description, I
> can't see a way for us to implement a good enough UI to browse and
> enable those from within the desktop environment.

Another thing to consider wehn considering the experience when searching
and downloading from COPRs is that they also may contain applications
that are already in fedora, (just newer builds).

I am currently using COPR to produce builds of inkscape, gimp and
corebird from the upstream master branches --
http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/ryanlerch/

cheers,
ryanlerch