Workstation PRD approval

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 09:33:13 UTC 2014

>> We've reached a stalemate on this.
>>
>> On the one hand we have a case that aims Workstation at becoming a
>> development environment for a broad set of possible software.  On the
>> other we have one that places importance on general desktop usage.
>> Neither of them are actually conflicting with each other in any way
>> other than whether the latter is implicit in the former.
>>
>> It seems we have a trust issue here.  There's a lack of trust that a
>> development focused Workstation can possibly be generally usable while
>> also solving problems for the developer set.  There's a lack of trust
>> that resources will be put forward where necessary.  And there's a
>> complete lack of faith that other contributors and upstreams can fill
>> the role of developing applications and such for the general use case.
>>
>> I can't solve this, but the (agonizingly delayed) back and forth going
>> on right now is not lending itself to actually accomplishing anything
>> at all.  If we don't set a direction soon, and have faith that people
>> won't have their heads up their collective arses and hold myopic views
>> of "targets", then we're going to continue to languish.
>>
>> We have a deadline for the PRD coming up in about a week.  I'd like to
>> actually have something to present to FESCo.  Can we please either
>> agree to trust each other or barring that call for a vote on one of
>> the current draft PRDs?  Members of the Workstation WG really need to
>> speak up here.
>
> I hope it's not my mail client acting up, but it looks like no replies
> here from WG members.  I'd like to explicitly say I for one trust that
> those expecting (and expected) to do a majority of the work do care
> about the general use case.  And I'd expect many, and perhaps most, of
> the things that improve by focusing on a good experience for
> developers will also benefit general users.
>
> Personally I'm a lot more like the latter than the former, which is
> why I want to trust the contributors to do the right thing.

While generally I agree with your sentiment about people doing the
right thing I would still like to see it documented. It's amazing how
often we need to dig back through mailing lists and email archives and
other things to work why things are in a particular way so if it's
documented in the main location the exact details won't get lost, or
at least covered, with the sands of time.

Peter