[Proposal for Vote] Approve Draft 6 of the PRD

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 21:14:18 UTC 2014

On 01/21/2014 12:04 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Peter Robinson
> <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Josh Boyer
>> <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>>> It does, thanks.  I'll close the call for votes at end of
>>> business today.  At that point I'll get the PRD on the wiki and
>>> I'll send it to FESCo.
>>
>> End of business what timezone?
>
> Good question.  I'll just say:
>
> 22:00 UTC Jan 21 2014.

So, I've been reading through the PRD in my FESCo capacity (presuming
that this draft is what is being submitted for approval at tomorrow's
meeting).

Concerns:
 * Target Audience 1: Student
   * While I certainly would hope that we can support Steam (I assume
     that's the stealth requirement there), it seems like a divergence
     from the rest of the targets. If this is something the product
     wants to focus on, I suspect it should be a separate Target
     Audience: Video Game Players.
   * To me, a student target should really imply a closely-integrated
     development environment (particularly built around a set of
     common and simple tools, such as Eclipse and DevAssistant).

 * Other Users:
   * I'd make it clear that this is a non-exhaustive list of things that
     are not being directly targeted (though as noted they will benefit
     indirectly. Right now it almost reads to me as "We almost forgot to
     mention this stuff, but it's a priority too!" I realize this is a
     bit of a flame-war in the discussions, but if you try to be
     everything for everyone, you'll be stuck in the same limbo that
     Fedora is in today.

 * Robust Upgrades:
   * I suspect this is a phrasing problem, but this doesn't read
     properly to me. Upgrades should be the same as an original install?
     I suspect what is meant here is something along the lines of: "If I
     install with the updates repo enabled, my system should be no
     different than if I installed from the initial release and ran 'yum
     update' (except for user data).

 * 3rd Party Software:
   * If this can be worked out with the Fedora Advisory Board and the
     lawyers, great. My +1 to this segment is contingent on that.