Fedora board vote and way forward

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 11:00:47 UTC 2014

On 24 January 2014 10:54, Christian Schaller <cschalle at redhat.com> wrote:
> My take away from the discussion so far is that the current board would not accept
> anything that 'automates' access to such external software. Doesn't matter if we ship
> the metadata on the ISO or not.

Did they define 'automates'? Is there a required level of pain that we
have to make the user go through? At the moment it's just "type chrome
into google; click an rpm; input your password". I don't see how
that's any harder than "type a chrome into the software center; click
install; agree to the EULA; input your password".

> The only thing that I can see flying with the current board is a system that is 'blind' to what it is offering, just like
> a web browser.

So perhaps when the user clicks install, it just opens the browser to
something like https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/ ? --
that's perfectly doable right now, but the UX would be pretty, well,
unusual.

Richard.