Fedora board vote and way forward

Lars Seipel lars.seipel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 14:59:29 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 06:15:50AM -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> - use a custom scheme in the software center to pass those URLs, eg.
>     gnome-software://rpmrepos.org/my-stable-repo
>   or even defining multiple repos with a single URL:
>     gnome-software://rpmrepos.org
>   The software center can now show you the list of repositories offered by this URL
> - Convince repo maintainers to add those URLs to web pages

This really looks ok. It would be useful to anyone offering software for
Fedora instead of only to a small list of proprietary vendors.

Maybe in some cases those URLs can even point to something that's not
necessarily specific to a single distribution. For now, it could be just
different sections for RPM and Debian repos with Gnome Software choosing
depending on what kind of system it's running on.

This also seems to be approximately what openSUSE's One Click Install
does:
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:One_Click_Install_Developer