Fedora board vote and way forward

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jan 24 19:23:47 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-24 at 14:03 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > If we just had a nice Software/Steam-ish platform where you'd know all
> > the major third-party stuff was available, with a decent interface and
> > screenshots and reviews and all that gumph that's the current vogue,
> > it'd be a much nicer experience, even if ultimately what you got was the
> > same big static bundle you get from a tarball/dumb package today.
>
> So if one were to go to all of the infrastructure work and
> cross-distro collaboration and get vendor buy-in, would you view that
> single "platform" (or AppStore or whatever) as something that a Fedora
> software installer could point to and include in searches done in the
> software installer?

Like I said I don't view the degree of isolation of the platform from
the distro as a hugely key issue, and it's something we could figure out
later, but I guess my personal answer would probably be 'yes, as long as
it was sufficiently clear what was going on'. We already have various
mechanisms like this in the distro, so it'd be kind of inconsistent to
zap it for this purpose - though I think all the similar mechanisms that
are currently allowed (I'm thinking of pip / rubygems / Wordpress plugin
store and similar things) are for access to 'repositories' that have
similar freedom / patent encumbrance policies to ours, which is kind of
a notable difference.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey