So are we skipping a gnome release?

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Sun Jan 26 01:14:31 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-01-25 at 16:29 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> It sounds like gedit is the one change in
> 3.12 that might catch people by surprise, so I think it's worth
> considering making that part of 3.12 'opt-in' - by putting it in a
> COPR
> - if we can achieve that cleanly.
It'll be the most user-visible, but there are lots of other applications
that will feature significant changes. gitg, several games, File Roller,
and GNOME Software all come to mind.

All apps will notice changes from the GTK+ and Adwaita upgrade. A good
amount (probably a majority) of the complaints about the new gedit were
actually only about the design of the tabs (which I think look
excellent, but there's no denying they're very unpopular). Well, that
wasn't a gedit change: it's going to happen during this update even if
you hold gedit at 3.10.

I really do want to see this update happen: I think Fedora users will
appreciate it, and I think it's justified by the exceptional change to
the normal release schedule. But it'd be silly to pretend there won't be
significant UI changes all over the place.