Fedora board vote and way forward

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Jan 27 09:58:20 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 6:04 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 24 January 2014 10:58, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Are we? We don't even have a schedule.
> >
> > Sorry, I was under the impression we were shipping GNOME 3.12 in
> > Fedora 21 and following the pattern. If that's not the case,
> > apologies.
>
> For lack of any other plan, that might as well be the target at the
> moment.  The only thing we know about schedule is that F21 will not
> ship before August.
>
> >> Anyway as I understand the board any such tool should not be
> >> specifically designed to find non free software but be more generic
> >> "find software we do not ship".
> >
> > I don't understand that at all. Shouldn't a software center be
> > designed to install software, no matter what the origin? If we're
>
> Yes.  Which is what the Board is saying.  It's saying you cannot know
> where to look for, or display by default, non-free software.  So no
> links or .repo files to e.g. flash-plugin.  It's also saying that if a
> user explicitly searches for something, then it's possible to have the
> installer make it easier for them to get after they've made an
> informed choice.  Call that informed choice a "3rd party warning
> splash screen" or something.
>
> > making the user jump through hoops because of some Fedora policy, it's
> > probably a good idea to state that explicitly, as I'm really confused
> > by all the subtle meanings in the above sentence.
>
> In short: no known locations/links/repo files to 3rd party software,
> informative messaging before allowing installation if a search is
> done.

For me, search before acceptance is offending thing and on the other
hand with user's consent I'd be ok with locations/links and repo files.

That's why I voted -1 as I think there is space compromise... Without
playing with words ;-), inventing services to rule the world etc.

Same was Rex. We both want opt-in - you as users allows 3rd party sources
(with strong messaging why you should not do it), then searches,
installation works out of box. I think it goes with our values - let
user choose his way but does not taint search results with proprietary
software if they don't want.

It could be one checkbox (install time, initial setup time, first run
of app, np).

But from discussion it seems like the Board and GNOME team do not like it
at all (mjg and mclasen expressed it's no go).

Jaroslav