FESCo Workstation PRD follow up questions

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Wed Jan 29 09:59:55 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

The Fedora design team is an integral part of the Fedora and part of the Emerging Platform Team
inside Red Hat and plays a key part in ongoing development. Currently they are for
instance in charge of coming up with a branding strategy for the 3 products.
There is no plan to develop a Fedora specific theme currently, but the Fedora design
theme will be pulled in to help for instance develop new icons in order to for instance
be able to provide an integrated accessibility experience with high-contrast icon theme across
the major toolkits supported by the workstation.

> 2) What is the actual deliverable and delivery mechanism for Workstation?
>
> This is asking how we intend to ship the Workstation product.  ISO,
> live USB image, something else?

There is no plan to change this from what has been the primary delivery methods of
Fedora so far. That said I think the emphasis will need to change where a USB sticks
is the primary medium and DVDs the secondary.

> 3) FESCo has said schedules should be kept in-sync for now. Should the
> release schedule section still be included?
>
> This is in reference to the "The working group will also be
> responsible for defining release schedule while also taking the needs
> of the other working groups into consideration and the resources
> available from the Fedora infrastructure team." line.
>
> We might consider just changing this to:
>
> "The working group will also be responsible for on-going feedback and
> suggestions on release schedules, based on collaboration with upstream
> components, the other Working Groups and FESCo, and Fedora
> Infrastructure."

Sounds fine.

> 4) What traditional policies and rules will be modified from the
> existing Fedora policies/rules?
>
> This is in reference to the section at the top of the PRD that says:
> "Being a new product the Fedora Workstation will have its basic rules
> and targets set through this PRD and thus there will be deviations
> from some of the traditional policies or rules that the old Fedora
> project followed. "
>
> FESCo has clearly and repeatedly stated that it retains oversight to
> all decisions all WGs make.  It might be simpler to just remove this
> line.
>
> Lastly, we now know that the 3rd party repository item has been, at
> best, severely limited in what is considered permissible.  There were
> comments on the ticket pertaining to this, but it was under discussion
> by the Board so FESCo did not have a specific question for the PRD in
> this regard.  I would anticipate FESCo will push back on the existing
> text under the 3rd party section.  Perhaps we should reword this
> before taking it back to FESCo?

Sure.

Christian