FESCo Workstation PRD follow up questions

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Jan 29 14:04:48 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 04:59 -0500, Christian Schaller wrote:
> > > 2) What is the actual deliverable and delivery mechanism for Workstation?
> > >
> > > This is asking how we intend to ship the Workstation product.  ISO,
> > > live USB image, something else?
> >
> > There is no plan to change this from what has been the primary delivery
> > methods of
> > Fedora so far. That said I think the emphasis will need to change where a
> > USB sticks
> > is the primary medium and DVDs the secondary.
>
> Two notes in this regard:
>
> 1) If we are going the USB way (which I think is the way to go as many
> laptops are removing CD/DVD and we also save some trees in the
> meantime), we should look at ways to improve the USB creation experience
> and documetnation wrt to the current state. I would make it a priority
> to focus on making it specially easy for Windows and Mac OS X users.

+1 - current situation with live tooling is mess, for users, for QA, for
developers.

> 2) I would remove the DVD install-only option. Focusing only the
> installable Live media. The reason for this suggestion is that it would
> remove the amount of media we have to test and release and that it will
> reduce that confusing choice for users (if you're new it's hard to
> figure out which option is best or whether it matters at all).

DVD is less than option even now - by default, live gnome spin is shown
to users, they have to look for DVD. Also we stopped producing DVD install
media (in EMEA region). So for Workstation, there would be minimal impact.

> It might be worth keeping the DVD somewhere but I wouldn't keep it as a
> visible way to install the workstation product.

As I said above - it's already done this way. DVD could stay as an software
repository option, not a product.

Jaroslav