FESCo Workstation PRD follow up questions

Alberto Ruiz aruiz at redhat.com
Wed Jan 29 14:14:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 08:16 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> >> There is no plan to change this from what has been the primary
> >> delivery methods of Fedora so far. That said I think the emphasis
> >> will need to change where a USB sticks is the primary medium and
> >> DVDs the secondary.
> >
> > Two notes in this regard:
> >
> > 1) If we are going the USB way (which I think is the way to go as
> > many laptops are removing CD/DVD and we also save some trees in
> > the meantime), we should look at ways to improve the USB creation
> > experience and documetnation wrt to the current state. I would make
> > it a priority to focus on making it specially easy for Windows and
> > Mac OS X users.
> >
> > 2) I would remove the DVD install-only option. Focusing only the
> > installable Live media. The reason for this suggestion is that it
> > would remove the amount of media we have to test and release and
> > that it will reduce that confusing choice for users (if you're new
> > it's hard to figure out which option is best or whether it matters
> > at all).
> >

> I'd be very wary of doing this. The big problem with the live install
> option is that it's highly limited in the storage configurations it
> can use. There will certainly be users out there who will want to
> install Fedora Workstation on systems with complicated storage setups.
> The live media probably won't work for them.

Someone else brought up that there doesn't seem to be issues with
storage any more with the latest installer. But even if that was the
case, the sort of users with non standard storage setups (anything other
than ATA/SATA and external USB/FireWire/Thunderbolt storage) are kind of
out of scope.

> An option however would be to provide a single USB image that provides
> both the live image and the install-only image, selectable at GRUB
> (defaulting to booting into the live image).

Having an installer for power users accessible somehow sounds like a
reasonable approach, my main concern is the "I never used Linux and I
want to install Fedora, now what" story for the majority of users we are
trying to target.

I think it'd be worth considering this media streamlining in cloud and
server as well.

--
Cheers,
Alberto Ruiz