FESCo Workstation PRD follow up questions

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Wed Jan 29 16:22:16 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 10:11:08AM -0500, Christian Schaller wrote:
> Yeah, liveusb-creator is pretty nice and I agree it should probably be the default download, although I guess we
> want instructions for Windows/Mac users too. I assume there are freeware tools out there for Windows/Mac we can point
> people too?

As the author and sole developer of said tool, the thought of making it
the default download causes me a little bit of anxiety. Here are some
things to keep in mind:

 • It's almost always out of sync with the livecd-iso-to-disk script,
   which is more actively maintained.

 • It'll pull in PyQt4 & friends

 • Mac support is possible, but has yet to be implemented.
   https://github.com/lmacken/liveusb-creator/issues/6

 • It currently cannot create GPT partition tables on it's own

 • It was created as, and continues to be, a weekend side-project of
   mine and has never seen the day-to-day maintenance that a 'default' tool
   deserves.

> Also when I tried using the liveusb-creator I did discover that it fails horribly if the filesystem on
> the USB stick is not vfat. So I will look assigning someone to work on it to somehow deal
> with that case, either through offering to replace the existing filesystem or at least failing gracefully.

It should work with both vfat and ext filesystems, so that is a bug if it did not.

luke