FESCo Workstation PRD follow up questions

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 30 03:50:34 UTC 2014

> On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 19:25 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > >
> > > Huh, I thought we had a Mac section. I can probably add one that just
> > > describes how to use some kind of Mac dd-alike.
> >
> > No, I mean our default recommended install method should handle the Mac
> > case. Right now we're recommending that users produce sticks that will
> > then not interopreate correctly.
>
> Yup, gotcha. Sounds like we just had a nice IRC chat where we all agreed
> on a good long-term direction, here.
>
> In the short term I'm going to spend a couple hours fiddling with luc
> and the Wiki instructions; I'll try and twiddle it to make sure we
> provide good instructions for Mac folks ('use a dd-alike', basically).

So it turned into more of an all-day mission, but we made a couple of
minor improvements to luc, and I extensively updated the USB
instructions (again):

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB&diff=368712&oldid=368666

I wrote up easy 'direct write' methods for Windows and GNOME (I'll look
at adding a generic 'Linux' one for other desktops tomorrow if I can
find a widely-available GUI tool), made the page consistently promote
'direct write' methods as the most reliable and recommended unless you
actually need non-destructive writes and data persistence and stuff, and
just generally cleaned up a lot of of stuff. Let me know if you see
anything wrong.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey