Underlying DE for the Workstation product

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 30 20:55:46 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 15:47 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Since everyone else seems to be shy about kicking off some of the
> threads for the next steps, I'll get this one going and get it out of
> the way.
>
> We need to settle on an underlying DE for the Workstation product.
> The two major DEs in the Linux space are GNOME and KDE.  Fedora has
> spins for MATE, XFCE, and one other (I think).  I've gathered that
> there's a lot of assumption, both in the broader community and within
> the WG, that Workstation will continue the Fedora trend and be based
> on GNOME.  I would even venture to say that is a fairly sane
> assumption to make.
>
> With that in mind, would the WG like to officially settle on using
> GNOME as the underlying DE for Workstation?
>
> I will be perfectly honest and say I have no overwhelming preference
> here personally.  My expertise extends to helping navigate through
> Fedora process thus far, so I'm not sure I'd make a huge impact from
> the technical side of things on whatever DE is picked.

Given the tension between the definition of a "Workstation Product" and
the multiple desktop spins that I've identified on devel@ - i.e. that a
"Workstation product" built around a single desktop occupies the
'desktop space', without accounting for alternative desktops - do you
definitely want to go ahead with the model where the WS product is
specifically associated with a single desktop and makes no attempt to
somehow 'include' alternative desktops, or is it worth considering
possible approaches that somehow account for alternatives? I realize it
might be quite late to do that, but it seemed worth asking the question.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey