Underlying DE for the Workstation product

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 30 21:58:50 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 16:29 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > That wasn't necessarily what I was suggesting, it was more of an open
> > suggestion than a specific implementation idea. There are probably
> > approaches that don't involve the "Workstation product" per se being a
> > choose-your-own-adventure, but somehow allow for the existence of
> > alternatives. I think someone floated the idea of some kind of
> > sub-product system already, for instance.
>
> If people want alternatives to exist, there's no reason to somehow
> prohibit them from doing that.  Nor do I think we'd want to even think
> about preventing them.  I don't necessarily think those alternatives
> should be grouped or branded under Workstation though.
>
> I feel like I'm not understanding what you're asking.  Could you maybe
> try to elaborate a bit more with examples?

OK, let me take another shot :)

As I suggested on devel@, conceiving of Fedora in the 'three product
design' - Fedora is the Workstation, Cloud and Server products - leaves
the status of things that were previous Fedora but do not fit neatly
into that 'product' definition somewhat up in the air. Just as notting
put it, what exactly is the status of spins, especially alternative
desktop spins?

Workstation WG could say you want to take a shot at resolving that
problem somehow; I'm just asking if that's something you're interested
in doing, or if you'd rather it be resolved through some other
group/process.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey