Underlying DE for the Workstation product

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 30 22:06:21 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 16:29 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
>> > That wasn't necessarily what I was suggesting, it was more of an open
>> > suggestion than a specific implementation idea. There are probably
>> > approaches that don't involve the "Workstation product" per se being a
>> > choose-your-own-adventure, but somehow allow for the existence of
>> > alternatives. I think someone floated the idea of some kind of
>> > sub-product system already, for instance.
>>
>> If people want alternatives to exist, there's no reason to somehow
>> prohibit them from doing that.  Nor do I think we'd want to even think
>> about preventing them.  I don't necessarily think those alternatives
>> should be grouped or branded under Workstation though.
>>
>> I feel like I'm not understanding what you're asking.  Could you maybe
>> try to elaborate a bit more with examples?
>
> OK, let me take another shot :)
>
> As I suggested on devel@, conceiving of Fedora in the 'three product
> design' - Fedora is the Workstation, Cloud and Server products - leaves
> the status of things that were previous Fedora but do not fit neatly
> into that 'product' definition somewhat up in the air. Just as notting
> put it, what exactly is the status of spins, especially alternative
> desktop spins?

In my mind the KDE spin is the only one that doesn't have a clear cut
status in the new world.  That's possibly because of some assumptions
I've made that may or may not be accurate.  Anyway.

> Workstation WG could say you want to take a shot at resolving that
> problem somehow; I'm just asking if that's something you're interested
> in doing, or if you'd rather it be resolved through some other
> group/process.

Ah.  To be honest, I think that's up to the FESCo/Board level.  There
are spins that extend beyond just choice of DE, and people could want
to create different spins of Server, etc.  So I personally wouldn't
advocate for the Workstation WG to solve that issue.  It's definitely
something that needs to be worked out, I just think it needs to be
done at a higher level.

josh