Removing Bloat from the next Live CD (Desktop)

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jul 13 18:47:14 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 2:31 PM, quickbooks office
<quickbooks.office at gmail.com> wrote:
> PS> I Posted this to the devel mailing list a while back and was told
> to post here instead;
>
> ---------------
>
> Removing Bloat from the next Live CD (Desktop) :

I'm not aware of anyone working on the old Desktop spin.  Work for F21
has progressed to the Workstation Live image.

> I have noticed alot of packages are included in the Live CD which are
> not really used by users who only speak English.
>

> I think it really makes sense to split the Live CD into 2 versions.
>

> The default version will be for English only.
>

> The second Live CD (not the default) will be English + international
> languages support.

That requires double the QA maintenance and additional maintenance on
the kickstart creation side.  It also creates confusion and clutter on
the downloads page.  I'm not sure this is really worth the effort
given that we're intentionally adding a significant amount of packages
to support things like QT/KDE apps.

josh