ABRT?

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Mon Jul 14 14:27:54 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-07-14 at 16:10 +0200, Kalev Lember wrote:
> As a developer, I absolutely love the retrace server,
> https://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/problems/hot/ . It gives an
> overview of the most frequent traces ABRT has seen and this is
> invaluable for prioritizing and fixing crashers that users are
> experiencing in real world. Also, bug reports filed with ABRT tend to
> be
> of high quality, which makes it easy to fix issues reported. I always
> tell everybody to submit crash reports when ABRT asks them to, since
> it
> helps us fix stuff.

Yes, this service is wonderful, though lately I've been seeing missing
problem reports and wondering if it's working properly.

> As a user, I hate ABRT with all my heart. The UI is confusing to me,
> it
> just never seems to work properly (perhaps that's because I run
> rawhide
> and ABRT developers don't focus their efforts there), and it also gets
> in the way of debugging crashes in my own stuff. So I tend to remove
> it from my systems and file bugs by hand instead, if needed.

My experiences are based on F20.

I don't find it gets in the way of debugging my own crashes, though,
since by default it creates core dumps in the crashing processes'
directory as long as you remember to set ulimit -c. I WILL find it gets
in the way of debugging my own crashes in F21, since F21 finally enables
systemd's wonderful coredumpctl tool. ABRT is going to conflict with
that, but I bet this can be worked on.