ABRT?

Matthew Barnes mbarnes at redhat.com
Mon Jul 14 20:22:12 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-07-14 at 11:38 -0400, Christian Schaller wrote:
> Well as annoying abrt can be I think nothing ruins the user experience
> more than crashers, so if abrt helps us fix more crashers/the most
> important crashers, I think that improvement in user experience
> probably outweighs the irritation of abrt.

My biggest problem with ABRT as a developer is it reports crashers to
the wrong Bugzilla.

I and I think many other GNOME developers would strongly prefer all bug
reports go directly upstream, instead of to Fedora's Bugzilla where they
then have to be manually moved upstream (or just left to rot).

Having bugs for a given component distributed across multiple bug
trackers just creates more work for upstream developers who double as
package maintainers.

I requested long ago that package maintainers should be able to specify
where ABRT sends crash reports for their own packages.  I even suggested
a possible mechanism for this, but I don't think it ever went anywhere.

https://fedorahosted.org/abrt/ticket/124

Matt