ABRT?

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Tue Jul 15 10:36:31 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Well I don't think it is worthwhile chasing the abrt bugs through bugzilla,
> regardless of which bugzilla it uses. The true value of abrt is the data
> that is collected and can be viewed through:
> http://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/summary/
>
> Because by looking at the 'problems' tab you will quite quickly see which
> crashers are hitting
> a lot of your users and are the ones making the distro seem unstable.
>
> Despite its shortcomings it is worthwhile to note that abrt catches between
> 5000 and 10 000 crashers
> a day, even going up to almost 24 000 one day for f20. So I think it does
> provide enough data to help us
> improve our quality. I know a lot of developers (and managers) are checking
> the retrace data regularly and use it
> to prioritize which bugs are looked at first.

It's not as useful as you make it seem. There are things that can be fixed, certainly
but there are also a number of those crashers for which there won't be an obvious
answer, the result of a bug earlier in the code, and no way to reproduce the problem,
contact the bug submitter, or get more information.