ABRT?

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Wed Jul 16 08:59:22 UTC 2014

Michael Catanzaro píše v Po 14. 07. 2014 v 11:02 -0500:
> On Mon, 2014-07-14 at 11:38 -0400, Christian Schaller wrote:
> > Well as annoying abrt can be I think nothing ruins the user experience
> > more than
> > crashers, so if abrt helps us fix more crashers/the most important
> > crashers, I
> > think that improvement in user experience probably outweighs the
> > irritation
> > of abrt.
> >
> > Christian
>
> I think it is a thing we really want to have, since it helps find
> crashes and that's very important, but it's just not ready for general
> users. Even if you're OK with the extremely long waits, they usually end
> in an emergency report, and before the emergency reports started they
> would usually end with a notice that the crash cannot be reported. I'm
> actually confused how users are managing to report any bugs at all -- it
> just *doesn't work* at least for me. I'm not objecting to the theory
> behind ABRT, just the current implementation. If it gets dropped, I
> would happily welcome it back once these issues are resolved.
>
> P.S. If memory serves, and it might not, I think ABRT may have been
> faster and much more reliable in the past. I don't remember being
> annoyed with it when I started using Fedora (F18 era).

I think it's important to distinguish two things ABRT does:

1. it makes (or at least it is supposed to) it easier to report bugs to
bugzilla.

2. it makes so called ureports that are used for the statistics and
weighting problems.

ad 1) I think ABRT offers two ways to create backtraces etc. Either on
their server or on your machine. AFAIK ABRT started preferring the
former option because users don't have to install all the debug tools to
report a problem, but if their server is overloaded it may take ages to
create a bug report.

ad 2) This is not slow at all. ureports are created and uploaded within
seconds.

I agree with Christian. We should not remove ABRT completely. The
retrace server is an important tool for many developers. If reporting
bugs is broken, then we may disable it and let ABRT create only the
ureports until it's fixed. On the other hand, we would lose links to
actual bug reports in bugzilla. I also agree that there needs to be
something done with the UI which is frankly quite terrible.

Jiri