Introduction, Documenting Workstation

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Thu Jul 17 11:11:27 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Hi Pete,
Thanks for working on this. I think the reality here is that the workstation
to a larger degree than the two other products is a continuation of what was
there before, so it is harder to 'radically' depart from what was there before,
unless we decide to go for ChromeOS as our desktop or similar.

I also think that in practice we are spending quite a bit of energy for F21 just
cleaning up our act a bit in terms of meeting the minimum expectations of users,
in terms of the quality of the base experience to be even considered an alternative
to Ubuntu or MacOS X. Which is crucial although not very
sellable (we don't suck anymore isn't really a selling point :).

So the desktop here is bound to be more of an incremental thing where we step by
step improve the developer experience, either through improvements in the desktop itself
or by adding new tools, like DevAssistant or the Software collections.

So the major features of the first Fedora Workstation release in my mind is:

a) Designed around the Software Installer as the primary source of software and updates.
Including support for Eclipse add-ons.
b) Improvements to the terminal with specific developer friendly features - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Tasklist#Terminal_developer_features
c) Software collections
d) DevAssistant
e) Much improved HiDPI support
f) Wayland-preview
g) Improved Firewall handling
h) Integrated look and feel between GTK+ and Qt applications
i) Switch to dnf from yum, improving installation experience significantly
j) New streamlined initial install - with USB drive install being primary focus

Of course this being open source a lot of these things ends up elsewhere than Fedora too, but things like Software Collections
and DevAssistant will likely be Fedora unique for at least the forseeable future. And the combination of dnf and the new software
installer should make using Fedora for a desktop a much improved experience, putting us more on par with competing solutions.

So the tech spec should more be read along the lines of 'We have chosen a starting point and here is our roadmap for improving
things going forward with our target audience in mind'.

Christian