Enable "Solarized" color schemes by default for Workstation

Ignacio Casal Quinteiro nacho.resa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 14:08:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:

>  On 07/30/2014 09:27 AM, Ignacio Casal Quinteiro wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> the reason we would not change at gedit level is that the classic theme
> from gedit which is the shipped by default follows the theme (Adwaita)
> colors,
>

> Unless Adwaita was built around the colors of the classic theme in
> gtksourceview, this is not the case. The "classic.xml" colour theme
> predates GTK3 -- the colour pallette has been the same since before
> gtksourceview 2.91 was released [1], [2].

the classic theme does not override the colors set by the theme, in this
case Adwaita see:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtksourceview/tree/data/styles/classic.xml

fwiw: I am completely opposed to this change specially because:
 1. the solarized theme is not used by any of the gtksourceview maintainers
(me included), meaning that if we change something in gtksourceview it will
not get noticed in time.
 2. it does not follow adwaita

Cheers.

>  making it more approapiate since it follows better the colors from the
> desktop while solarized or any of the others it doesn't.
>
> The solarized palette is a lot softer, and complements the adwaita theme
> much better than the default classic theme. Here are some screenshots
> comparing the two styles [3], [4].
>
> cheers,
> ryanlerch
>

> [1] -
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtksourceview/plain/data/styles/classic.xml?id=GTKSOURCEVIEW_2_91_9
> [2] -
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtksourceview/plain/data/styles/classic.xml
> [3] - https://ryanlerch.fedorapeople.org/gedit-classic.png
> [4] - https://ryanlerch.fedorapeople.org/solarized-gedit.png
>

> Regards.
>

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> I recently blogged on the Fedora Magazine about the awesome addition of
>> the Solarized colour schemes in GEdit and GNOME-terminal in workstation
>> [1].  And a commenter on that post asked the question: why not make it
>> default?
>>
>> Since terminal ships with the dark GTK theme turned on, we could set the
>> default color scheme there to Solarized Dark, and for gedit (that uses the
>> light GTK theme by default), enable Solarized Light by default.
>>
>> cheers,
>> ryanlerch
>>

>> [1] -
>> http://fedoramagazine.org/fedora-21-will-feature-solarized-color-schemes-in-both-the-terminal-and-gedit/