Permissions required to install/uninstall software

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Mon Jun 2 22:00:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

I guess there must be a reason for this, but it's odd that Fedora 20
requires authentication to uninstall software, but not to install
(signed) software. It's great that I don't need a password to install
stuff, but why do I need a password to get rid of it? I might be stuck
with software I later decided I don't want after all. If removing
applications is considered a security hazard, then I think
authentication should be required to install as well. (And if the user
is an administrator, maybe the password prompt is not needed at all.)

Alternatively, I should just be able to uninstall something I installed
myself.

Thoughts?

Michael