Package List Discussion

Richard Turner rjt at zygous.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 12:14:37 UTC 2014

On 4 June 2014 12:52, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> We aren't targeting people that find virtualization to be
> a confusing concept.  Workstation is targeting developers and students
> with a reasonable degree of technical competence.  I believe working
> virt out of the box should be installed.
> The live iso is ~1.2 GB right now.  In the context of having space to

For what it's worth, I consider myself to be firmly in the target audience
for WS: I'm a web developer using all Free software and I've been using
Linux since about Red Hat 7.

Mostly I use virtualisation to test stuff in MSIE on various flavours of
Windows. If GNOME Boxes, libvirt, etc. is installed by default then I'll
remove it and install VirtualBox. That's not because I prefer VBox - I
don't at all - but because Microsoft provides images for VBox and making
them work nicely with libvirt is a hassle I can do without.

Developers are a picky lot; I think generally we'll all prefer having a
quick and easy means of finding and installing the stuff we want over
having loads of stuff we might need pre-installed: the fewer packages
pre-installed, the fewer I have to manually remove because they're not
applicable to me.

 --
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."