Package List Discussion

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 4 20:27:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Araluen <desertdance2000 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-06-04 at 16:09 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> >
>> > No, sorry, you might have misunderstood the PRD. We aren't producing a
>> > distro only for developers. We are still producing a general purpose OS
>> > but we are focusing our own development effort more on making it easier
>> > to use Workstation for development.
>>
>> There's nothing in what I said that precludes a general purpose OS.
>> On the contrary, it's required for anything above and beyond that.
>>
>> > We had this discussion already when approving the PRD. There were
>> > concerns that people might misunderstand the wording there to mean that
>> > we are no longer supporting the general desktop user. No; the PRD only
>> > enumerates areas we'll give special focus during development and is not
>> > meant to say that those are the only supported use cases.
>>
>> And this is where you and I differ.  I consider virtualization an
>> important enough thing for the areas we're giving special focus to be
>> installed by default.  You, apparently, do not.  That's a difference
>> of opinion between you and I, not a fundamental misunderstanding of
>> the overall goal on my part.
>>
>> If you would like, we could certainly put this to a vote in the WG.  I
>> may very well be alone in my desire for virt to work out of the box.
>> If we could actually get the WG to vote on it, I'll be happy to shut
>> up either way.  I'm interested in making progress, not endless
>> debates.
>>
>> > It is still a general purpose desktop distro.
>>
>> Again, nothing I've said would imply general functionality doesn't work.
>>
>> > Quoting from the Workstation PRD:
>> >
>> >   "We want to create a stable, integrated, polished and user friendly
>> >    system that can appeal to a wide general audience. /.../ This PRD is
>> >    not meant to be an exhaustive list of what potential users can or
>> >    will use the Fedora Workstation for, but rather outline the
>> >    Workstation working groups development priorities and overall goals."
>> >
>> > ... and goes on to explain that one of those development priorities is
>> > to be attractive to developers.
>> >
>> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Workstation_PRD
>>
>> You don't need to point me to the wiki page I created.
>>
>> josh
>
> Gee, you people are polite.
> I've just migrated from the Lizard, and what goes on there.......i
> ditched the OS

I'm not sure if this was sarcastic or not, so I'll be an optimist and
assume you were being literal.

Welcome to Fedora, and I hope Workstation, or whichever flavor of
Fedora you find suits you best, is a great experience.  If you're
inclined to pitch in after a while, we'd love the help.

(If my assumption is wrong and you were being sarcastic... well I hope
you find Fedora useful anyway.)

josh