Should Firefox stay the default browser in Fedora Workstation?

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 6 16:39:08 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Is there any reason that this cannot be packaged separately from the
> 'firefox' SRPM and included as part of Fedora Workstation? I don't
> think it's an unreasonable thing for the Workstation WG to decide
> should be default on that Product.
>
> There was a thread about this in this list few months ago.
People have objected to adding it for various reasons:
1) Having it installed doesn't make it default. To make it default you need
to patch Firefox to load it if it's installed, or load the default if it
isn't
2) Some people claimed that it would cause bad user experience if the theme
stops being maintained and we'd have to revert users to the default theme
3) People who don't use GNOME desktop don't want this theme

> Ship with Epiphany as well as Firefox? Then we can have useful UI in
> the gnome-initial-setup perhaps that asks if you're using a
> touchscreen or detects hi-dpi and then advises you to change the
> default browser to Epiphany.

That's not ideal at all in my opinion. It goes against the usual GNOME UI
patterns.

--
-Elad Alfassa.