Should Firefox stay the default browser in Fedora Workstation?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 6 17:44:53 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 06/06/2014 01:18 PM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
>> On Fri, 2014-06-06 at 12:33 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>>> It might run afoul of the Firefox trademark thing.  A rebranded
>>> "IceWeasle GNOME" loses all the brand recognition.
>>
>> I know we are not allowed to apply unauthorized patches. I didn't
>> realize extensions might also be impermissible. If so, that would
>> be a strong argument against Firefox.
>
> We should invoke the lawyers here, but I doubt that this would be
> impermissible. I suspect that Firefox implicitly allows this simply by
> offering a public extension interface and a freely-available mechanism
> to apply them.

Is a theme an extension?  Does it require patches to Firefox?  I
literally don't know the answer to those questions, and I'm overly
cautions when it comes to modifications in regards to the TM aspects.
Also, I completely missed the "packaged as a separate SRPM" part.

If a GNOME theme is nothing more than an extension then I would agree
with Stephen's assessment, but he's probably correct that we should
get it reviewed either way.  Apologies if I caused undue alarm.

josh