Curating the metadata in the Software application

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Fri Jun 27 16:59:30 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-06-27 at 11:47 -0400, Ryan Lerch wrote:
> IMHO, Software is a very important application in the Workstation
> concept, however much of the appdata needs refinement and curation to
> make it even more useful to Fedora Workstation users.
>
> What it be a good idea to start up a team of some sort to start up this
> process?
>
> A little unsure of the best way to approach improving this part of the
> Workstation for our users.
>
> cheers,
> ryanlerch

A few slightly-related thoughts:

Appdata Complaint #1: I've found it very difficult to take good
screenshots for my applications (the GNOME games). Most are intended to
run in small windows, and do not look good when resized to 16:9. Some
are unresizable. And Richard's screenshot window sizer extension is
broken for apps with header bars, so my screenshots aren't even at
appropriate sizes. I want to do better, but I'm not sure how.

Appdata Complaint #2: There's no standard on when to use the
<project_name> tag. I use it for games with generic names, so that the
software center displays "GNOME Chess" rather than simply "Chess," but
other apps with generic names do not use it.

Appdata Compliant #3: The <project_group> tag is also not used
consistently. I'm not sure how many GNOME apps actually declare
themselves to be in the GNOME project group.