Curating the metadata in the Software application

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 21:59:42 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Fri, 2014-06-27 at 19:30 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > I think without making the details page in gnome-software resize and
> > reflow (which we don't really want to do) we really have to ask for
> > 16:9 screenshots. I'm sure we can work on the padding+resizing
> > algorithm, as that does some pretty brain-dead things (like resizing a
> > 760x431 image to 752x423) sometimes.
>
> :/  I'm really at a loss for what to do here. For some games, I've
> placed windows side-by-side, and have a screenshot of them both
> together. For others I zoomed in and cropped. Either way looks pretty
> bad.

A developer tool should be shipped with gnome-software (in a sub-package I guess),
that consumes an uninstalled app-data file (possibly untranslated?) and shows what it
would look like in the full application.

This debug/test tool could be seen as a UI version of the appdata validation tools.

Right now, the test cycle is just too long (or I haven't figured out how to
test those appdata files without actually shipping them in Fedora, or creating my
own repositories).

Does that sound sane? Want me to file a bug?

Cheers