default filesystem

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Sat Mar 1 01:05:34 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 8:08 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I've updated the spec to say
>>
>> The default file system type for workstation installs should be btrfs.
>> Until btrfs is considered ready for this role, we will stay with the
>> current setup of the desktop spin.
>
> Great, thanks.  I'm sure we'll revisit if people want to keep things
> similar with Server, so having rationale on being different from them
> would be good if we go that route.

OK, so the QA people would really like to limit the number of default
filesystems across the products if there is no good reason to
differentiate.  With that in mind, the current desktop setup "install
to hard drive" options for the live image defaults to ext4 on LVM.
Does anyone have major objections to changing Workstation to default
to XFS on LVM for the install to hard drive path?

Others have pointed out that the RHEL7 client uses XFS already.  I'm
of the opinion that ext4 vs. XFS is pretty comparable for most cases,
so I have no strong objections either way.

Thoughts?

josh