hw requirements

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sat Mar 1 05:57:56 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 03:40:27PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Matthias Clasen (mclasen at redhat.com) said:
> > I've added a section about hw requirements to the spec. It is a bit
> > vague atm. Can we (and should we) make it more precise ?
>
> 'suitable graphics and display resolutions'.
>
> I would suggest at least:
> - a graphics adapter with a KMS-capable driver

That rules out supporting systems using the binary nvidia or AMD driver,
which is something I can certainly get behind but may not be what people
are aiming for. For instance, new hardware might be supported by the
nvidia driver but not by nouveau - in that case the system will boot
with efifb (not KMS capable) and then the user might install the binary
nvidia driver. Is that a supported hardware configuration?

> - a graphics adapter or adapter + CPU combo that supports <unspecified>
>   level of 3D rendering performance
>
> I believe this is a line we would draw in terms of what is
> supported/recommended, but I don't know how you would write this in a
> meaningful way that this could be applied.

ajax almost certainly has opinions as to where the bar should be drawn
here.

> - 1024x768 resolution (or 1024x600?)
>
> Too conservative?

Is anyone shipping anything below 1366x768 now? Probably worth checking
what the requirements for the Windows hardware certification are.

> - Input
>
> Do we require at least one PS/2 or USB input device, or will we work with
> bluetooth-only or touchscreen-only devices?

Where devices support the hid boot protocol over Bluetooth, and where we
can deal with the handover between the firmware and a real driver, I
think we should certainly aim to support that. We've talked about making
efforts to support Apple hardware, and a lot of that tends to be
bluetooth-only. Touchscreen-only sounds trickier.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org