default filesystem

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Mar 2 23:21:29 UTC 2014

On Mar 2, 2014, at 12:23 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-03-01 at 12:56 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:

>>> I'd really like to have the discussion about whether btrfs is still a
>>> medium-term goal.
>>
>> I don't think a broader conversation on Btrfs is in scope for the Workstation tech spec. What I think is relevant right now, is whether there should still be a Btrfs guided partitioning option, which is what we currently have in Fedora 20 and older. Or if there shall only be the default.
>>
>> It's curiously ostensible to say we'll use Btrfs when it's ready in maybe a year, but then drop it as an alternate easy install option. I also think it's appropriate to label it in the pop-up with "Preview" or "Work in Progress".
>>
>> I propose for automatic/guided partitioning:
>>
>> Server:
>> Default=LVM with XFS
>> Alternate = none
>>
>> Workstation:
>> Default= Standard Partitioning (ext4)
>> Alternate = Btrfs – Preview
>
> So now we have three guided paths to test, which is barely an
> improvement on four?

The above language isn't well qualified on my part, it's just an idea that the Workstation WG consider. I'm not married to the Btrfs alternate, and it's debatable whether it improves Btrfs test coverage anyway.

> I thought we had previously agreed that we wanted
> to cut these down as far as possible. :(

You're right, we had. The "as far as possible" means Workstation and Server agree with each other on a default, with no alternate. And I still agree that's the best outcome.

Chris Murphy