default filesystem

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 3 14:57:52 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Christian Schaller <cschalle at redhat.com> wrote:
> I agree with Matthew here that if we are going with btrfs for the medium/long term, then
> that has an impact on our decision for default filesystem in the short term. To me it
> seems like switching to XFS for the workstation doesn't make sense if we still want to
> get onto btrfs at some point. It just means we will find ourselves with our users
> spread across one more filesystem medium/long term.

Right.  Workstation gets no benefit from switching to XFS other than
it makes QA happier (for fairly valid reasons).  If Server wasn't
switching, this wouldn't even be a conversation.  I think we'll likely
just have to stick with ext4 and pitch in on the UI and QA fronts if
that somehow leads to major burden.  I expect Server will need to do
the same for the XFS route as well.

> The harder question is to what degree we are able to trust in btrfs 'getting there'
> within a given timeframe. On the other hand if Suse ships it then
> we should at least be able to go to the limited feature version they use at some point.

I think it's something we (the FS and Fedora kernel people) will
really have to keep an eye on.  This _are_ improving, so it's a matter
of timeframes really.  I'm still hoping to get a talk on it at Flock,
and then reassess for the next Workstation release.  In the meantime,
I guess I'll be booting more machines with btrfs to play along.

josh